Peanut butter has to be one of our canine friend’s favorite ingredients, and we all know it’s so much better when paired with jelly.
So I just couldn’t resist making these homemade peanut butter dog treats with strawberry jelly!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on this, read our disclosure here.
Traditional jellies have a lot of sugar in them though and sometimes artificial ingredients that we don’t want to feed to our pets.
To keep these homemade peanut butter dog treats pet friendly, I made a simple jelly glaze from fresh strawberries and honey in my favorite small food processor.
I used the dog bone and fire hydrant shapes from this pack of seven dog cookie cutters to make these delectable homemade peanut butter dog treats. They measured at 3 1/2″ and 3″.
These size shapes yielded 22 dog treats.
The jelly is totally optional, as it does put you into sticky treat territory, but I do think it adds a nice sweetness to these homemade dog treats. (Yes, I may have kept a few of these for myself!).
The fire hydrants look so much cooler when they’re red!
Disclaimer: Please consult your vet before introducing any new food into your dog’s diet.
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats With Strawberry Jelly
Yields: Approximately 22 Dog Treats
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (xylitol free)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup flour + more for kneading
- 1 lb. carton of strawberries
- 2 tsp honey
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
For the dough:
- In a small food processor, combine the oats, flour, 6 strawberries, banana, egg and peanut butter.
- Blend until well combined. I use the Nutri Ninja 2-In-1, which is my FAVORITE kitchen tool ever. It’s super easy to use and clean – definitely not your mom’s old blender.
- If the texture of the dough seems too sticky to handle after blending your ingredients, add in a little more flour in TBSP increments until your each the right consistency.
- Lay the dough out on a floured surface and knead a few times. Flatten the dough with your hands to about 1/4-1/3 inch thickness and cut out shapes with your favorite canine-inspired cookie cutters.
- Place cut-out shapes on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
For the strawberry jelly:
- Put about 12 strawberries in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Add the warmed strawberries to your high speed blender with 2 tsp honey and blend for a few seconds.
- Use a silicone basting brush to frost your jelly onto the dog treats.
Since these homemade peanut butter dog treats have a sticky factor from the jelly, you’ll want to store them in the fridge in an airtight container.
You can also freeze any excess treats and return them to the fridge when ready to be consumed.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it!