It’s mealtime, and even though the family dog has his own bowl, he still comes over with those hungry eyes, begging for a bite of your tasty human food.
And how could he not?
With so many scent glands, our food must smell a thousand times more delicious.
Most of the time, it’s ok to give your pet some human food, but in some instances it may be more harmful than anything.
Here are 8 foods dogs can’t eat (so no sharing!):
Foods Dogs Can’t Eat
Toxic Foods For Dogs #1 – Caffeine
While I personally love a good cup of joe to perk me up in the morning, the effects of caffeine on dogs is much more potent.
While 1 or 2 laps of caffeinated coffee, tea or soda is unlikely to harm your pet, caffeine consumption in moderate amounts is enough to lead to increased heart rate, seizures or even death for small dogs.
This includes coffee grounds, tea bags and just 1 or 2 diet pills.
#2 – Apricots
A small amount of apricots can be a tasty treat for dogs, however, the concern over this fruit is mainly the consumption of the pit.
Apricot pits can easily get stuck in the intestinal tract.
Apricot pits also contain cyanide, but unless the pits are crushed (to release the cyanide) and consumed in a large quantity, it would be unlikely to cause cyanide toxicity in dogs – however not unheard of.
Better to just keep this one on the list of foods dogs can’t eat.
#3 – Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic are toxic foods for dogs whether cooked, raw or in powdered form due to the thiosulphate contained in them.
This ingredient can cause serious illness in dogs when ingested causing a condition known as hemolytic anemia.
This condition damages the red blood cells and can cause them to burst.
So basically your dog is like Edward Cullen – a vampire you want to keep the garlic away from.
#4 – Grapes/Raisins
Grapes and raisins should not be fed to dogs as they produce a toxic reaction that causes rapid kidney failure.
It is not clear exactly what substance in the grapes and raisins causes this reaction yet.
Best to just steer clear of these fruits.
#5 – Gum
For humans, it’s so easy to pop gum in our mouths to instantly get rid of a bad taste or bad breath.
But when your dog yawns in your face and you smell his stinky breath, don’t even think about it.
Most chewing gums these days are made to be sugar-free and contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol.
Xylitol is poisonous to dogs and may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and even liver failure.
- Related: 11 Easy Homemade Dog Treats You Can Make In 15 Minutes Or Less
- Related: 6 Pet Food And Supply Store Hacks That’ll Save You Money
#6 – Chocolate
Sixth on our list of foods dogs can’t eat is Chocolate.
The good news is that when it comes to chocolate, you don’t have to share with your pet!
The bad news is that if your dog finds your secret stash and eats it, he may get sick.
Chocolate contains cocoa, which is poisonous to dogs because of the theobromine compound within it.
Dogs metabolize theobromine more slowly than humans, which allows it to build up in their systems to toxic levels.
If a large enough quantity is consumed, the poisoning may even lead to death. This is one sweet treat you’ll want to make sure is out of reach of pets.
#7 – Alcohol
Dogs should not consume alcohol for a few reasons.
The ingredients used to make alcohol are in itself toxic to dogs (grapes for wine, hops for beer).
They also are physically intolerant – their kidneys weren’t made to process alcohol.
Lastly, their sheer small size makes them easily prone to alcohol poisoning also known as ethanol poisoning.
Toxic Foods For Dogs #8 – Salt
Salt… the American diet is filled with it. Chips, fries, pretzels, really anything that’s packaged.
We know it’s bad for us (yet so delicious), but it’s bad food for dogs too.
You shouldn’t share salty food items with your dog as excessive salt intake in dogs can cause serious dehydration and lead to a barrage of symptoms or death.
While dogs still need salt in their diet, dog food will provide the appropriate amount.
If any of these “8 Foods Dogs Can’t Eat” is consumed by your pet or your pet displays symptoms of poisoning, be sure to contact your vet right away.
Like this post? Pin it!